Choiceless Awareness...Thoughts on Meditation

At Wednesday night Meditation Group, this phrase in the 15 minute guided meditation, was used a few times. I have to admit, that the first time it was used I sort of disregarded it...but then after the second and third time it was said I became confused and perplexed on it's meaning...."Choiceless Awareness".
The guide was talking about letting those random thoughts come in and instead of being aware and then move on and past them the guide suggested...well, to actually follow the thought and acknowledge it and ponder. 

Ok, the word "choiceless"is one I have never used and the meaning; power of choosing between things. Choice implies the opportunity to choose. So choiceless is...to not have the power to choose.

Awareness: the state or condition of being awarehaving knowledge;consciousness.


I have thought about these two words used together all week. I get it now. Those random thoughts that pop into your head while meditating are not chosen...they just appear, right? But we are aware of them, almost within seconds of them appearing. I don't consider that powerless though. 


The meditation for that evening was different and there were mixed reactions when we discussed it as a group afterwards. Some liked the change and some did not. I don't have preferences at all...the time spent "being" with the group is inspiring, peaceful and many times a chance to discuss an "out of the box" experience.


I find the guided meditation a unique experience and I look forward to going each time. I have enjoyed meditating in many forms and this is new...in a group setting for me anyway as I have been solitary in my meditations. Well within Nature which really isn't being alone even in the dead of winter.

Blessings,
Terri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Walnuts and what to do with them!

New Year Planning!