Fall Time Wild Crafting Sumac

There are a few botanicals that I wild craft each fall.
One is the staghorn sumac Rhus typhina. Countryside Magazine has a well written article for a thorough reference to read. This is one of my favorite magazines of all and I've learned more from this magazine than any other. This is for seasoned to newbie homesteaders and the BEST resource.
Here in Minnesota we usually get a frost in the middle of September. This year it was a little earlier and here on our homestead where our land is lowland near the Mississippi we had two hard frost in a row...hmmm was that around the 15th I think. My parents living just outside of Brainerd, did not get a frost that week.
Our first outing which was the week after the frost, was on the backroad to Cuyuna. We (Francine, myself and my youngest son Remington) collected a good amount for a healthy batch of tea, but many of the berries had started drying out already.

A few days later, Rem and myself went back and turned off the main road we had been on before and ventured down the stretch which went along Rabbit Lake. I'm guessing that since it was along the lake that the berries were more protected and we found they were still plump and red. I had already canned up the first batch of about 4 1/2 gallons worth. This second batch would produce more.

In the Countryside article the author stated that he used only cold water for soaking the berries. I have used warm water and found that the tea did not get bitter. I remember the first year I had made the tea, I soaked the berries in hot water. Yes, the tea was a bit bitter so I did some more research and discovered this tid-bit of using only cold water.
I let my berries soak overnight and can up the next day. Each batch we picked, I was able to soak four stock pots of berries.
While processing and canning the tea, I use a flour sack towel to strain it well. While the tea is cooking to a simmer, I also skim off anything that floats to the top.
I get a beautiful dark red tea. This year it was very concentrated, so we dilute the tea with equal amounts of water. (for myself even more as I like a weaker tea with Stevia). We like the tea cold, but it is excellent hot and it reminds me of the Celestial Season's Red Zinger.



Honestly don't miss out on this nutritious and yummy wild food that is so abundant in our area. During the winter months, we don't purchase and eat fruit very often from the local grocery store. We rely on getting our nutrition from our own gardens and wild crafted produce and botanicals. Sumac, is easy to find, pick and process. Make sure to stay away from areas of busy traffic and car fumes. Try to find more isolated areas so the berries are not contaminated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Walnuts and what to do with them!

Our Sister Site...Gaia's Wheel

Can't live without our Horseradish!