Harvest Time

Lots of different stuff going on this time of year! Over the years I've learned to be a multi-tasker and out of necessity get a lot of projects done in this very short harvest season in Minnesota. Living on an old established homestead has taught me how to live in and with the seasons of the year. Actually it's always a very busy time, no matter what season it is.
So, harvest time here must be prioritized. I'll snatch moments for more fun things like wild crafting...but when the tomatoes are ready...they've got to be "done up". I'm almost done with the canning. Just a couple more batches of "Convenience" to do. I had a very adequate crop of tomatoes this year. Yeah! Last year was not so good and we ran out of everything by mid-summer.
As you can see I had some monster tomatoes! Most of the tomatoes we grow are heirloom. We save seeds for next year's growing season. This year we grew Brandywine, Italian Roma, German Pink, and Long Tom.

When I make a batch of Salsa or Convenience Tomatoes I do it in bulk and it's a day long and sometimes into the next day project. I parboil and peel about, oh I'd say about 30-40-50#'s at a time. This makes either a large Stock Pot full of Convenience or a Roaster full of Salsa. The Roaster produces about 30-34 pints depending on how much my guys taste test while it is simmering.
As an Intern Master Gardener I volunteered a couple weeks ago for two mornings, at the Rippleside Elementary to help teach the 6th graders how to make fresh Salsa! What a fun experience and a delight to be around the kids! We used my family recipe and they had a blast chopping and stirring and learning all about making their own food from fresh vegetables and herbs. The school has it's own gardens and apple orchard now, so they have the opportunity learn about raising food and cooking from fresh produce.

Here I'll share the family Salsa Recipe that we have been making for the past 15 years or more.

Hot Salsa
Makes about 6-7 pints

8 cups of peeled and chopped Tomatoes
4 cups of chopped Onion
6-8 Banana Peppers (I have used Hungarian Hot Wax and Green Peppers as well or as substitute). I remove the seeds.
6-8 Jalapeno Peppers (I have used other hot peppers as well or as substitute...such as Chili and Cayenne). I leave all the seeds in so it is a very hot batch.
3-6 Cloves Garlic (to taste and I like to use minced garlic for convenience with equivalence of 1 clove to 1 tsp. )
2-3 tsp. Cumin (to taste..I like more)
Pinch of Paprika Powder or Chili Powder
Optional 2-3 tsp. Epazote (mexican herb)
1-2 tsp. Salt (to taste)
1 Tbls. Sugar
Combine all and simmer for about 1/2 hr. to an hour and process in pint or quart jars.

Ok, back to another project. I'll be posting about wild crafting and canning up Sumac Tea.
Harvest blessings,
Terri

Comments

  1. There's nothing better then grapping a can of home done up toamotes and making it into hotdish, spaghetti, soups or whatever. Your recipe differs from mine a bit but not to much. Your guys like it much hotter then we do.
    Take care Terri and keep all the great information coming. I loved Francine's post about the spinning too. Mama had a friend Helen Anderson that use to do that alot.
    Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Walnuts and what to do with them!

Our Sister Site...Gaia's Wheel

Can't live without our Horseradish!