Can't live without our Horseradish!

As the harvest seasons comes to an end, one of the last projects we do here on the homestead before the snow flies, is to get the horseradish dug and processed.
When I moved here to the homestead over 23 years ago, the horseradish has pretty much taken over the garden area. From years of tilling and only harvesting small amounts it had flourished and spread. I began moving the bits and pieces of root to the end of the garden in rows as we tilled each spring. Even though it is still in the garden, it is a small area and is managed by picking the root pieces out each spring after tilling. It only takes a small piece of root for the plant to take hold and grow. I love having my three long rows of transplanted plants at the end of the garden. It is easy to harvest and not scattered among the other vegetables like it had been growing before.
Thankfully we still had the mini backhoe (from hubby's work that we've been using for other projects) here and my hubby dug up enough for two whole batches.

Last weekend my oldest son and myself did the first batch. We made ten quart freezer bags full. We processed it outside and even though it was cold and windy it wasn't too bad. The wind sure kept the fumes from being overwhelming. If you've never done up horseradish, I'll give you this warning....do not process it indoors unless you wear a gas mask.
This weekend we did the second and last batch and were able to process another 11 quart bags. This weekend was warm, sunny and windless. The fumes were noticeable but being outside again, it wasn't unbearable.

One of the things I've discovered after many years of processing horseradish is the what works best for tools. I've used scrubbing brushes and numerous scouring pads and have settled on a one dollar kitchen scrub pad that works the best.
A food processor is the best. I've used blenders, but they tend to overheat and only small amounts can be chopped at a time. We do quantity to last a couple years. It is a big job and not a fun one.
Keeping the roots in warm water while scrubbing helps with the cleaning. Change the water often.



Processing horseradish is simple There are a few tricks of the trade and I share those in my Master Gardener Presentation in Power Point.

Comments

  1. This is an excellent post Terri. I never knew how it was made. COOL!! I need to stop by this week and pick up some of your super tonic and also healing cream. Maybe towards the end of the week.
    Take care Terri. Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Walnuts and what to do with them!

Our Sister Site...Gaia's Wheel