Black Walnuts and what to do with them!

While picking apples at the Holmes we discovered Walnuts! I found quite a few resources on processing these gems! This resource and link from Arlene Wright-Correll explains a number of uses and how to process them. What I was looking for was how to make Walnut Ink. Here is another resource from an Artist on how he made the ink.
I already knew I was going to make an Extract and had done that before...which I'll share in another blog post.




























Yes! Wear gloves. My pair had a little crack in one of the fingers and I had a stain for about a week.
I cut all of the green hull off of the nut. This hull is what I used for the Ink and the Extract.















I cut the hulls off since I am going to make an Extract as well and also plan on planting the nut. I would like to have my very own source on our property! The link is from the U of M and being a Master Gardener, I am always happy to share the excellent resources and information there.














Look how stained my gloves are! I'm so glad I decided to do this outside. It was a beautiful fall day and I enjoyed this crafting time even better.

I used one of my stainless steel stockpots to put the hulls in and covered them with water. I let it sit for over a week. Most resources say to let them soak for as long as you can. 
I brought the hulls and water to a boil, added the salt and vinegar.

Look! It is nice and dark and looks nice and dark.....perfect.

I did buy some cheesecloth to strain it with. The cheesecloth will be stained and I look forward to using it for an "Altered Book" project!
I'll come back in the near future and post pictures of using this Walnut Ink for artwork or writing.

Comments

  1. Last week (maybe the week before) Kim made black walnut ink for her church and art projects. This is so cool.
    See I found you Terri. I wish you and Francine the best of luck with your new journey.
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Go to blogger gadgets and add e-mail gadget that way every time you post everyone that subscribes will get an e-mail telling us you posted so we can keep up with your blog. I try and remember to go to everyones but I follow quite a few and hate missing a post or two.
    Thanks Terri and Francine. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sister Site...Gaia's Wheel

Can't live without our Horseradish!